Saturday 8 August 2020

42.5 miles


Running is so 2019. 2020 is all about the cycling.

With all these pop up cycle paths, the government prescribing cycling for obese people and the government's repair your bike voucher scheme (which I didn't manage to get as it was like trying to get Glastonbury tickets) cycling really is getting pushed. I think we have caught the cycling bug - swapping our weekend long run for a weekend long bike ride. I don't think we'll be doing any races or competitions though. We might have clocked 42.5 miles today but I am fully done in and don't think I could go further. The weather didn't help as it was so hot and humid, I was just so sweaty and sticky it was horrible. It was draining me as well, I just don't do well in the heat.

We decided to go the same route as we did on our 27 mile bike ride so we went under the new Mersey Gateway bridge rather than going along the Runcorn Widnes Bridge. We wanted to go further to see where the path took us.

They're doing resurfacing through Hale Bank but this week the foot path was closed so we couldn't carry on but happened to be behind this couple who were really nice and said we could follow them as they knew a way around to get back on the cycle path. These two were dressed in all the cycling gear with racing bikes and shoes. We didn't know if we were going to be able to keep up with them but they rode slow and kept turning round to make sure we were keeping up. Felt like we were doing the Tour De France as we were cycling in a line along. We didn't fit in though as we weren't dressed in all the gear. We were definitely slowing them down though but they got us back onto the path. So we carried on and they went a different way but ended up behind us which was awkward! But then we lost them and don't know where they went but they definitely couldn't wait to get rid of us.

My Strava says my max speed was 81.6 miles/h that must have been to try and keep up with them but I definitely don't believe I was cycling that fast at any point as you don't even drive that fast on the motorway! But the only thing I can think is maybe when we were going downhill we were flying after we got up the steps and towards the Runcorn Widnes bridge. There's no way my legs would have been able to push me that fast!

We followed the Trans Pennine Trail - National Cycle Network Route 62 all the way to Warrington along the Manchester Shipping Canal going towards Birchwood. We got to 20 miles and decided to call it a day as we knew we had to make it back. I'm so tired now and aching all over. Gonna sleep well tonight!





Twitter || Instagram || Facebook || Tumblr || Bloglovin || Pinterest || Last.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment