Sunday 5 September 2021

Kensington Palace


Going with my birthday tradition of when I visit Kelly for my birthday we go and visit a palace for my birthday. 5 years ago for my birthday me and Kelly went to Buckingham Palace and this time it was Kensington Palace.

We walked here from Sky Garden through Hyde Park.

















Hyde Park is huge! First time I've walked through it and didn't realise Kensington Palace was at the other end of it. We booked for 4pm and turned up at about 4:45pm and they just wouldn't let us in until it was our time slot. So we just had to sit down on a bench and wait.

Security wasn't as tight as Sky Garden it was just the usual open you bag and they use giant chopsticks to look into it. It also wasn't as strict as Buckingham Palace. You just get left to roam free and take as many photos as you like and don't get no earphones.

We started off in The Jewel Room



There was meant to be 3 tiaras in this cabinet but one of them went out that morning on loan to a wedding!

Then we learnt all thing about Queen Victoria's childhood - Victoria A Royal Childhood. Learnt about King's way in the past that I knew nothing about and still don't in the King's state apartments - The Georgian's 1700s and then the Queen's state apartments - The Stuarts 1690s.











As the exit was the same as the entrance we forgot to walk round to this entrance with the main gate!



It was strange as I didn't actually do any research before saying I wanted to visit so didn't know what to expect but I thought there would be stuff about Kate, Wills, Harry and Diana but nope nothing... Then again the bits we got to go through is the public bit and there is still the private part where some of the Royal Family still live today. Until we went out into the Orangery Royal Style in the Making

Princess Diana's Wedding Dress






Princess Diana's actual wedding dress! I didn't realise how long the train was and have never been a fan of the dress like it was not flattering at all and she looks good in anything other than this dress. But it does look nicer up close but still she could have worn something so much nicer!

This old couple were like we watched the wedding... And we thought she was going to say she watched it in real life but she meant on TV... and still has the newspaper cuttings from the day. We didn't know what to say other than we weren't alive but would have if we were!


Worn by the Queen Mother


Worn by Princess Margaret

After leaving the Orangery you go back into the Palace and you see these photos...





I thought there would be stuff about all these but nope nothing this is all you get!

Princess Diana Memorial Garden - Sunken Garden









I was quite surprised you weren't allowed in the garden to see the new memorial that was only put there in July. But I get why you can't as people will probably trash it even without meaning to, just easier to keep people out!




It was a nice little tour learning about the past royals. It wasn't that busy but I'm not sure if that's because they are strict with people's booking times but I thought a lot of people would want to go and see Princess Diana's wedding dress as that is a new exhibition that's running from 3rd June 2021 to 2nd January 2022 which isn't that long!

Still need to visit Clarence House, Hampton Court Palace and St James's Palace that are in London so they will be on the cards for my next summer visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment