Wednesday 1 June 2016

Rock Cakes

Rock Cakes are a quick & easy alternative to scones. They're not as messy as you don't have to knead the dough by hand but just as good. 

This is actually a recipe from when me & my younger brother were both in year 9 food technology. We still have the recipe sheet & make them quite often cos they're that easy to make & we always have the ingredients in the cupboard to just throw together. 


Ingredients

225g (8oz) Self Raising Flour
75g (3oz) Margarine
25g (1oz) Sugar
100g (4oz) Dried Fruit
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Egg
Milk


I tried to make it "healthy" by using wholemeal flour. I also used unsalted butter as we've stopped using margarine as butter is healthier. Still got the same result.

Method

Preheat the oven to 190°C

Sieve flour (optional, we don't sieve less hassle & cleaning) & rub the margarine/butter until mixture becomes like breadcrumbs


Stir in the sugar & fruit





Mix together then make a well in the middle & beat your egg in




Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract & around 4 tablespoons of milk. With the milk we don't measure it we add it until we get the right consistency. So it's not too wet or dry


I forgot to take a photo of it all mixed... But until you create a dough

Once it's all mixed place small rocky piles onto baking paper



Bake for 20-25 minutes. Until golden brown



Just a little bit brown... My brother was using the oven to make his lunch so turned the oven up which meant my rock cakes got over baked. But they still tasted good. I made wholemeal scones the other week which I posted on instagram (I forgot to take photos to blog so will do one at some point!) & found that if you use wholemeal flour you need to up your liquid content as it does make the mixture quite dry compared to white flour. 

Baking is such a distraction as I should be revising for my anatomy & physiology and nutrition exam a week today! Hopefully pass them both & then I'll be a fully qualified personal trainer! Which is really scary with how quick the year has gone, it's June already & went the whole day thinking today was the last day of May... I remember turning up to enrol on my birthday, questioning whether it was the right decision. But I do believe it was. 

 Twitter || Instagram || Tumblr || Bloglovin || Google+ || Pinterest || Last.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment