Sunday 24 August 2014

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

If you follow me on TwitterInstagram or Tumblr you will I have seen I accepted Kelly's nomination for me to do the ice bucket challenge which of course accepted as it's for charity & a good cause. For those who don't know what the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge actually is as it just looks like people throwing a bucket of ice water on themselves them nominating other people to do it. It's to raise awareness for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) in the UK it's for Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNS).

The idea came from the fact that people who have ALS/MNS are characterised by muscle spasticity, weakness due to muscle atrophy, difficulty in speaking, swallowing & breathing. It's the most common of the 5 motor neuron diseases. One of the most famous people who has the disorder is Stephen Hawking. The ice bucket challenge gives you the feeling of almost having ALS for a couple of seconds due to the ice cold water which numbs the body.

You will have seen all over social networks that a lot of celebrities have participated in the challenge such as Justin Bieber, David & Victoria Beckham their son's Brooklyn & Cruz, Will Smith, George W Bush, Harry Styles, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Fletcher from McFly & his wife Giovanna & many many more. 

It does seem to be a bit of a publicity stunt rather than people raising awareness & donating but the ALS Association, which had raised $64 million in all of 2013, raised more than $10 million on Thursday, August 21, 2014 alone. It's definitely got people to research & know about ALS. Being completely honest I had no idea what it was before this campaign started. So if you have been nominated make sure you do donate as well as doing the challenge!





The link to my original instagram video http://instagram.com/p/sFW9Ampdks/?modal=true

I challenge Holly, Gabby, Hannah & my 2 cousins Sindy & Jess. Jess is currently in Malayasia so I'm intrigued to see where she will do the challenge. I was also going to nominated my mum which I completely forgot even though she was filming it!


Twitter || Instagram || Tumblr || Bloglovin || Google+ || Last.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment