Tuesday 22 July 2014

Scones

It's been a while since I've baked anything that I can't even remember what the last I baked was! With my new found spare time I should really bake more often & try more healthier recipes even though I do put a lot less sugar than what I'm usually told to.

I made scones this afternoon as I had a weird urge to just bake them.

Ingredients

8oz / 227g - Self Raising Flour
½ teaspoon - Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
2oz / 57g - Sugar
3oz / 85g - Margarine
2 Eggs
Drop of Milk (Save some to brush over the top)
A cap of vanilla extract
Sultanas (Up to you how much you want to put in)

Optional
Dessicated Coconut

Pre-heat oven to 200°C 
Baking time 15 - 20 minutes

Tip - Measure your margarine out into little cubes in a bowl at room temperature a couple of hours before you plan to bake so it is soft.


Add your baking powder to the flour & mix it together with a wooden spoon.



Once mixed you can add the sugar & mix that in


You can now add your margarine & mix it until it's like breadcrumbs 


If you're going to add dessicated coconut this would be a good time too once the butter has been mixed in. Then add the sultanas which is also up to you how much you want to put in



Make a little well & add your eggs


The dough will be quite dry so add a drip of milk to it



Now is the time to get your hands dirty & get mixing the dough. Dust your work top with self raising flower, your rolling pin & cutter. I don't have any cutters the once you can see in the photos is too big so I used this mug which was the perfect size.


Place baking paper on your trays. I recommend Tesco baking paper is the best.


I made 2 batches. The first I got 10 scones the second I got 11. 
I did them as two separate mixtures as it's easier to incorporate the ingredients & to kneed the dough.

Once I put them on the tray I brushed a bit of milk on the top of them to give them a nice golden colour.



I then baked for about 20 minutes in the oven at 200°C until they were a golden colour



I'm really proud of these, the best scones I've made but they could have done with a bit more coconut & sultanas other than that I can't really fault them!

If you do try making them yourself please let me know & show me how they went! You can tag me on twitter or instagram @Juki_W or Julie-Wing on tumblr!

Julie
XxX
Twitter || Instagram || Tumblr || Bloglovin || Google+ || Last.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment